This short article shows you how to download a GPX file onto your computer and then select it in Basecamp software. So you need a laptop/desktop computer and you also need to download Garmin Basecamp, a free program.
- Log into the BC Marine Trails website. Left side button.
- On the landing page select "Member Central". When you log on (left menu item) you will first come to a landing page. There are two links at the top: Go to the Map | Member Central. Select Member Central.
- On the right side of Member Central select ‘Downloads Page (GPX or KML).
- You will see a map of the BC coast. The map has six regions including South Coast Mainland, Vancouver Island, Discoveries & Mid Coast, Central Coast, North Coast and Haida Gwaii. For this example, click on Vancouver Island.
- When your mouse is over Vancouver Island it will change to light blue. Click to choose Vancouver Island.
- Chose a paddling area (you can choose more than one) such as Barkley Sound. The paddling area Barkley Sound turned green.
- Below is a button that says, “Download results for your GPS”. Click this. Depending on your type of computer it will download a file called “bcmtn-export-gps-a date.gpx”. This saves to your download section of your computer.
- Open Garmin Basecamp. On the top bar are selections such as: File, Edit, Device, etc.
- Click File. Click New. Click List and enter the name of your Paddling Area (any name really).
- Next, click File and then select “Import into Barkley (name I selected). Find the “bcmtn-export-gps-a date.gpx” and import it. You now should have a set of waypoint in Garmin Basecamp.
- Connect your GPS unit to your laptop/desktop.
- Select ‘Device’ and ‘Send to Device’. Select ‘Barkley’ or the name you placed in list.
- Your GPS should now have a gpx waypoints in the Barkley Sound area.