BC Marine Trails: Respectful, Caring, Green, Volunteer-based
Why give to the BC Marine Trails?
- Our association has a very strong Environmental Care Program.
- Code of Conduct- our new Code emphasizes user behaviours on the coast. In 2020, we will implement the Code after further peer review. This code is scientifically researched.
- Public Education Program - in 2020 we are preparing programs to promote recreational sustainability.
- Site Condition Reports - we continue to ask small boat users to be our eyes and ears on the coast, reporting on incidences of plastics or locations where campsite improvements are needed. Our new Environment Care Program eventually will replace the current reporting system.
- Clean up - we conduct a major West Coast plastics clean up, clean up recreation sites (14 currently), and conduct an invasive species program.
- We have a Marine Trail Safety Mandate
- Our trails development committee completed this mandate. Safety is a prime concern. We also strongly advocate for Public Access to Public Places.
- First Nations Engagement
- We are submitting data on campsites to Nations to gain approval for paddlers to camp within traditional territories.
The BC Marine Trails maintains a database of campsites, launch sites and day use sites for its members and the public. Our Trails Development Committee constantly reviews sites to ensure data is up to date. We currently maintain or co-maintain 14 recreation sites plus we have an application for an additional 3 rec sites.
The BC Marine Trails believes in recreational sustainability and protecting the BC coast. We believe our tri-approach - Environmental Care, Safety and First Nations engagement - will help the province move toward a coast that is managed sustainably. We are acting locally and using largely a volunteer organization, who dedicate thousands of hours annually, toward these goals. You can help us out by considering a one-time or monthly donation or Give a Legacy through your will or estate. Please click on the image below or donate button to the side.