Located opposite Campbell River on Vancouver Island, Quadra Island is a short 20-minute ferry ride across Discovery Passage. After another short vehicle ride andyou reach Heriot Bay where you can catch another BC ferry to Cortes. It’s another 40-minute ride. Both Quadra Island and Cortes Island have several access points. A paddler can go on multiple daytrips or several multi-day trips.
Quadra Island is part of a group of islands called the “Discovery Islands”. There are several islands in this archipelago including Read, Cortes, Sonora and Maurelle Islands. There are many smaller islands and island groups such as the Penn Islands and the Rendezvous Islands with campsites.
BC Marine Trails Resources
- Our map is well populated with campsites and access points in the Discovery Islands & Mid Coast paddling area.
- Resources: A variety of resources to help you find or plan a paddling trip.
- BC Marine Trails membership offers discounts with various companies or businesses. As well additional map planning and download tools come with your membership.
- Consider a daytrip from Heriot Bay toward Rebecca Spit or an overnighter to the Breton Islands.
- Consider a multiday trip to the Penn and Rendezvous Islands.
- Visit Cortes Island and take an overnight trip to Ha'thayim (Von Donop) Marine Provincial Park from Coulter Bay access.
- Take a guided tour with companies like Spirit of the West, Quadra Island Kayaking or Wildcoast Adventures.
The Wild Coast 3: A kayaking, hiking and recreation guide for BC’s south coast and east Vancouver Island by John Kimantis
BC Tourism, Parks
- Hello BC: Campbell River |
- Ha'thayim (Von Donop) Marine Provincial Park: There have been recent wolf sightings in and adjacent to the park.
- Rendezvous Island South Provincial Park
- Octopus Islands Marine Provincial Park