The East Coast of Vancouver Island (mid-central) and the Gulf Islands - provide many quality paddling experiences. In fact, it is renowned as a world-classpaddling area. Visitors can reach east Vancouver Island via BC Ferries (Nanaimo or Sidney, BC) or by short flights. Several Gulf Islands - Salt Spring, Mayne, Pender, Galiano and Saturna -can be reached from Tswwassen ferry terminal. There are also ferry terminals at Sidney and Crofton to the Gulf Islands. With a new BC Marine Trails campsite at Musgrave Point on Salt Spring Island, a new Parks Canada site at Shingle Point on Pender Island and many other places to camp the Gulf Islands and east Vancouver Island make offer plenty of opportunities.
BC Marine Trails Resources for Central East Vancouver Island and Gulf Islands
- BC Marine Trails State-of-the-art Map: Visit Musgrave Point and other sites in the Gulf Islands or on East Vancouver Island on our map. Once you've accessed the map type in a keyword to locate campsites or access points (i.e. Musgrave Point).
- Resources: A variety of resources to help you find or plan a paddling trip.
- Join our membership and get additional tools, resources and benefits from our sponsors.
Really you need a good guide book. Some suggested ideas might be:
- A trip to Wallace Island Marine Provincial Park from a Salt Spring Island launch.
- Or consider visiting Prevost Island Marine Provincial Park from a Salt Spring Island launch or enjoy a day in Ganges Harbour. There are a number of good guide outfitters on Salt Spring Island (see sponsors below).
- Thetis Island spots a couple of good launch sites. It's a day to circumnavigate the island.
- Launch from an official BC Marine Trails access site at Maple Bay near Duncan, BC. Explore May Bay and Samsun Narrows.
- Visit Cowichan Bay's kayak launch and explore nearby.
- In Ladysmith Harbour you can paddle around local islands or rent a kayak from Transfer Beach from Sealegs Kayaking (see link below); in Chemainus or Crofton you can explore the coastline.
- From Mill Bay consider a Wildlife Watching Tour or Evening Sunset Tour with Blue Dog Kayaking (see link below). There's a good chance of seeing a river otter!
BC Marine Trails Sponsors
- Salt Spring Island Adventure Company: Great company for local Salt Spring Island trips to the Gulf Islands
- Gulf Island Kayaking: ounded in 1985 by Ben Miltner, Gulf Island Kayaking is a family owned and operated tour and rental company offering half-day, full-day, and multi-day guided kayak adventures as well as kayak, canoe, paddleboard, and bike rentals out of Montague Harbour Marina on Galiano Island.
- The Wild Coast 3: A Kayaking, Hiking and Recreation Guide for BC's South Coast
BC Parks, Parks Canada, Local or BC Tourism
- Tourism Cowichan
- Salt Spring Island Tourism
- Hello BC: Duncan | Mill Bay | Salt Spring Island | Mayne Island | Pender Island
- Parks Canada - Gulf Islands National Park Reserve: Shingle Bay (in 2015 no online reservations)