Broken Group Islands are set in Pacific Rim National Park on the West Coast of Vancouver Island. There are more than 100 islands. Six islands have park-maintained campsites: Hand Island, Dodd Island, Turret Island, Gibraltar Island, Gilbert Island and Clarke Island. Solar composting toilets are provided at designated camping areas. The maximum stay in a camp is four days and the maximum stay in the park is fourteen days. Camping fees apply from May 1 to September 30. Peak season in the Park is between mid-July and the end of August. Please see Parks Canada web link below for more campsite and safety information.
BC Marine Trails Resources for the Broken Group Islands
- BC Marine Trails State-of-the-art Map: Access Tofino, Ucluelet or type in a name of a Broken Group Island campsite (i.e. Hand Island); please read disclaimer before using map.
- Resources to Help Plan Your Trip: A variety of resources to help you find or plan a paddling trip.
- Join our membership for additional resources such as a map ruler tool or sponsor benefits (that is, 10% some guided tours).
Many visitors to the Broken Group Islands either come by boat (MV Frances Barkley) from Port Alberni to Sechart Lodge (just outside the Pacific Rim Park) or launch from Secret Beach in Toquaht Bay (search for Secret Beach on our map). Generally, paddlers launching from Secret Beach camp overnight there or paddle through the Stopper Islands and land first at Hand Island. Generally, it's a multi-day trip to the Broken Group. There is a lodge just outside the Broken Group where the MV Frances Barkley drops paddlers.
BC Marine Trails Sponsors
- Majestic Ocean Kayaking and Tofino Sea Kayaking (additional benefits also as BCMTNA member) are two BCMTN proud sponsors who conduct guided tours in the Broken Group Islands.
- Other sponsors, such as, Ecomarine Paddlesport Centres or Blue Dog Kayaking also plan trips to the Broken Group Islands.
- Coastal Bliss offers trips in the the Broken Group Islands.
Parks Canada, BC Tourism
- Pacific Rim National Park Reserve: information about camping in the islands
- Tourism Tofino
- Tourism Ucluelet: see Outdoor Activities for section on Broken Group Islands kayaking
- Tourism Port Alberni
- Hello BC Water Activities (official BC tourism site): Ucluelet, Tofino, Port Alberni